Research Grants & Fellowships
2016: Early Career research Travel Grant and School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Queensland. $4000
2016: Outreach Grant Society of Experimental Biology: co-CIA with Dr Jose Iriarte-Diaz. Determinants of the mammalian feeding system design.
2015: Research Collaboration Seeding Grant, Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences & Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, The University of Queensland: CI. Lower limb kinematics and muscle control after lateral ankle sprains. $23,927
2014: University of Queensland (UQ) Major Equipment and Infrastructure (MEI) & National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Equipment Grant – 2014000089 (CI). Quantification of muscle mechanical properties by an innovative shear wave elastography technique for basic and clinical science . $69,000.00
2010: EU Marie Curie FP7 Reintegration Fellowship (PI). MACACA project. Determinants of mandibular form during intra oral food processing. €30,000
2009: Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) Research Grant (Named Postdoc). Comparative biomechanics and pathology of mammalian feet. £433,077
Awards & International recognition
- 2016 The Materialise FEA Challenge
- 2016 Nominee for the Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (MABS) Teaching Award for Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (COCSL), The University of Queensland
- 2015 Teaching and Learning Excellence Award, School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Queensland
- 2014 Nominee for the Women in Technology Life Science Research Award
- 2014 Elected member for the International Society of Vertebrate Morphology Nominating Committee
- 2014 Invitation to join the Review Editorial Board of Frontier in Biomechanics Journal, Nature Publishers
- 2011 Society of Biology Certificate for surgery on carnivores, large mammals and rodents.
- 2009 Mildred Trotter Prize for the best paper on skeletal biology and adaptation at the 78th Annual International Meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropology, Chicago Illinois.
- 2005 Bakalas Institution of Greece (PI). Bone mechanics and anatomy €36,000.
- 2005 The Leakey Trust Dissertation Award (PI) £500
- 2005 Natural and Environmental Research Council (NERC) Student Tuition Award, MSc Degree £3,500.
Symposium Chair in international conferences
- 2016: The 11th International Congress of Vertebrate Morphology (ICVM). Determinants of the mammalian feeding system design (co-chair with Dr. Iriarte-Diaz)
Recent Invited & Keynote Talks
- Padding out pad pain: understanding locomotor foot mechanics in large mammals using a combination of experimental and modelling techniques. Australia Podiatry Association, Victoria State Conference, Melbourne, 2016
- Impact of feeding behaviour on the deformations of the macaque mandible. 11th International Conference of Vertebrate Morphology, Washington DC, 2016
- All-round digital: Combining innovative learning resources and virtual technology for increased student engagement, EduTech National Congress and Expo, Brisbane, 2015
- Biomechanics of mammalian feet during locomotion: an integrative 3D analysis. International Society of Vertebrate Morphology & American Association of Anatomists Annual Meeting, Boston USA 2015
- X-ray moving morphology and functional mechanics. 3D Printing for medical application, Women in Technology 2014
- X-ray moving morphology and functional mechanics. Griffith University, Australia. 3D Printing Forum 2014
- Comparative biomechanics and pathology of mammalian feet. Mimics Materialise International Conference, India, Delhi 2014
- Comparative biomechanics and pathology of mammalian feet. 10th International Congress of Vertebrate Morphology (ICVM), Barcelona, Spain 2013
Recent Invited Seminar Talks
- Biomechanics of mammalian feet during locomotion:an integrative 3D analysis. Department of Organismic Biology, Harvard University, 2015
- How to build an accurate and reliable Finite Element Model. Department of Organismic Biology, Harvard University, 2015
- Functional anatomy and locomotor mechanics. Department of Zoology, University of New England, Australia, 2014
- Functional anatomy and locomotor mechanics. School of Rehabilitation and Health Sciences, University of Queensland, Australia, 2013
- Functional anatomy and locomotor mechanics. Department of Anatomy, Monash University, Australia, 2013
- Comparative biomechanics and pathology of mammalian feet. Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Brown, Providence, Rhode Island, USA. 2011
- Study of the form-function-motion relationship of anatomical hard and soft tissues. Department of Biomedical Sciences, Baylor School of Dentistry, Dallas, USA. 2011